What is the purpose of youth work?
Effective youth work helps young people to learn about themselves, others and society through non-formal educational activities which involve enjoyment, challenge and learning.
Youth Scotland endorses the view that the purpose of youth work is to achieve the following with young people:
- Build their self-esteem and self-confidence.
- Develop their ability to manage personal and social relationships.
- Create learning opportunities and to develop new skills.
Encourage positive group atmospheres.
- Build the capacity of young people to consider risk, make reasoned decisions and take control.
- Develop a ‘world view’ which widens horizons and invites social commitment….More